Matchups for 2021 Paycom Wooden Legacy Revealed
The matchups for the 2021 Paycom Wooden Legacy have been revealed. The two-day, four-game tournament will be played Thursday, Nov. 25 and Friday, Nov. 26 at the Anaheim Convention Center Arena.
The field for the Paycom Wooden Legacy features west coast powers USC (Pac-12) and San Diego State (Mountain West) and tradition-rich East Coast schools Georgetown (BIG EAST) and Saint Joseph’s (Atlantic 10).
- Both USC and San Diego State finished the 2020-2021 season ranked in the AP Top 25.
- Coach Andy Enfield’s Trojans sported a 25-8 overall record last season, and advanced to the Elite Eight in the NCAA Tournament.
- San Diego State has been crowned Mountain West’s regular-season champion the past two seasons, under head coach Brian Dutcher, who boasts a 96-31 record over the last four seasons for the 10th best win total among NCAA Division I schools during the period.
- Georgetown defeated Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall and Creighton to win the BIG EAST post-season championship as 2008 Basketball Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing led the Hoyas to the NCAA Tournament.
- Saint Joseph’s won four of their last five games to end last season and enter the 2021-22 season under third-year head coach Billy Lange.
“We are looking forward to welcoming the athletes, their families and fans to the Anaheim Convention Center Arena this Thanksgiving,” said Jay Burress, President & CEO, Visit Anaheim. “It will be great to have two strong Southern California teams in USC and San Diego State competing, while bringing traditional East Coast powers, Georgetown University and Saint Joseph’s University to Orange County.”
Owned and operated by ESPN, all four games will air on ESPN2 or ESPNU, and available via the ESPN App. Tickets for the 14th Paycom Wooden Legacy will go on sale Friday, July 30. For exclusive offers and tournament updates visit TheWoodenLegacy.com. Fans can also follow the event on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
|Thu, Nov. 25||6:30 p.m.||USC vs. Saint Joseph’s||ESPN2|
|8:30 p.m.||Georgetown vs. San Diego State||ESPN2|
|Fri, Nov. 26||6 p.m.||Third Place Game||ESPNU|
The Paycom Wooden Legacy was formed in June 2013 when the John R. Wooden Classic was merged with the Anaheim Classic, which was an eight-school bracketed event played for six years (2007-2012) at the Anaheim Convention Center.
Past winners include USC (2007), Wake Forest (2008), West Virginia (2009), UNLV (2010), Saint Louis (2011), California (2012), San Diego State (2013), Washington (2014), Michigan State (2015), UCLA (2016), Washington State (2017), Seton Hall (2018) and Arizona (2019)
Ten of the first 12 championship teams went on to play in the NCAA Tournament. Arizona, the 2019 Paycom Wooden Legacy champions, was listed as a No. 7 seed in the NCAA Midwest Region before the 2020 national tournament was cancelled due to the pandemic.
ESPN Events, a division of ESPN, owns and operates a portfolio of 34 collegiate sporting events nationwide. The roster includes five early-season college football games, 17 college bowl games, 11 college basketball events and a college softball event, which accounts for approximately 400 hours of live programming, reaches nearly 64 million viewers and attracts over 800,000 attendees each year. With satellite offices in more than 10 markets across the country, ESPN Events builds relationships with conferences, schools and local communities, as well as providing unique experiences for teams and fans.
Tim Simmons, 720/244-6580, [email protected]