Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing – “We made a big run in the second half, cut it to four points, but then we couldn’t make any shots after that. They got a few run-outs, fast-break points and we just didn’t have enough. If we want to make shots, we need to make good passes and we only had six assists tonight. If we want to beat teams like this, we need to have more than six assists.” (On guard Aminu Mohammed) “I expect Aminu to be one of our best players, he’s going to have a great career here in Georgetown. But I look at everything as a whole and we didn’t play particularly well tonight, we only scored 56 points. I’m happy with his effort tonight, but as a team and as a group, we didn’t play the way that I would have liked us to play.” (On San Diego) “They are a very good team and are well-coached. They did what they do. They play great defense, they limit you to one shot and they’re relentless on the boards. That’s what they hang their hat on. Tonight they shot 7-16 for three, but at the end of the day, it’s the fast-break points. We gave up 17 fast-break points and that hurts.” (On the low three-point shot efficiency). “They got to our shooters. They didn’t give us any breathing space, we got shots but we didn’t make them. They made everything tough for us. One of the things we need to keep working on is when we penetrate, we got to be able to find our shooters. We got to be able to read where the defense is and make the right play.”
- Georgetown did not score a FG in the last 9:39 of the game (missed last 10 shots).
- Mountain West teams are 2-1 in championship games.
- San Diego State looking for 2nd Wooden Legacy Tournament win and first since 2013.
- SDSU’s Nathan Mensah blocked 4 shots tying him for 4th most in a Wooden Legacy game.
- San Diego State recorded 10 steals, well above their average of 5.5 while Georgetown got 5 compared to their season average of 9.
San Diego State (4-1)
- San Diego State head coach Brian Dutcher has won his 100th game as a Division I head coach
- Have held 13 of last 16 opponents to under 40% FG.
- Have now won 15 of last 16 games played in November.
- During Dutcher era 59-11 when bench outscores opponent bench; Georgetown bench was 2/10 for 5 points and SDSU was 9/20 for 20 points.
- Aztecs improve to 129-70 since start of 2010-2011 season on the road or a neutral court.
- Georgetown shot a season worst 4-20 (20%) from 3-point range and were held well below their season average of 74 PPG (56 vs SDSU).
- Lost 19 of last 21 when opponent makes more 3-pt FG.
- Aminu Mohammed and Dante Harris combined for 39 of the 56 total points (16/29) while the rest of the team went 4/28 from the field.
- Donald Carey goes 0-7 FG for the first time in his career but improves his FT streak to 22 in a row going 4/4 today.