Annual tournament to be played on campus of Cal State Fullerton November 23, 24 & 26.
The matchups for the 2017 Wooden Legacy have been released for the three-day, 12-game bracket tournament to be played November 23, 24 and 26, in Southern California during Thanksgiving weekend.
With the Big West Conference hosting the event for the 11th time, the 2017 Wooden Legacy will be played at Titan Gym on the campus of Cal State Fullerton where the school has been hosting the tournament since 2013. The Titans will also compete in the 2017 Wooden Legacy for the third time with other appearances in 2008 and 2013.
Other schools in the 2017 Wooden Legacy are Georgia (Southeastern), Harvard (Ivy League), Saint Joseph’s (Atlantic 10), Sacramento State (Big Sky), Saint Mary’s (West Coast), San Diego State (Mountain West) and Washington State (Pac-12).
Saint Mary’s (NCAA), Georgia (NIT) and Cal State Fullerton (CollegeInsider.com) competed in post-season events last March. The Gaels defeated VCU in the first round of the NCAA men’s basketball championship before losing to Arizona. Georgia and Cal State Fullerton dropped their first-round matches to Belmont and Weber State, respectively.
Saint Mary’s will be making its third appearance in the event while Washington State and San Diego State return for the second time. When the Wooden Legacy moved from the Anaheim Convention Center to Titan Gym in 2013, San Diego State won the championship by defeating Marquette in the final.
Georgia will be the third SEC team to compete in the Wooden Legacy and Harvard is the second Ivy League school to play in the event. Saint Joseph’s is the sixth school from the A-10 to compete in the event as Saint Louis won the 2011 Wooden Legacy title. Sacramento State replaces DePaul in the 2017 Wooden Legacy field and becomes the first Big Sky entrant in the tournament.
In addition to San Diego State and Saint Louis, other Wooden Legacy champions were USC (2007), Wake Forest (2008), West Virginia (2009), UNLV (2010), Cal (2012), Washington (2014), Michigan State (2015) and UCLA (2016)
All 12 games of the 2017 Wooden Legacy will be televised on ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPNEWS or ESPN3. All times listed are Pacific (unless otherwise noted).
Thursday, November 23
- Game 1 – Saint Mary’s vs. Harvard, 1 p.m. PT (4 p.m. ET), ESPNEWS
- Game 2 – Saint Joseph’s vs. Washington State, 3:30 p.m. PT (6:30 p.m. ET), ESPN3
- Game 3 – Georgia vs. Cal State Fullerton, 7:30 p.m. PT (10:30 p.m. ET), ESPNEWS
- Game 4 – San Diego State vs. Sacramento State, 10 p.m. PT (1 a.m. ET, next day), ESPNU
Friday, November 24
- Game 5 – Saint Mary’s/Harvard winner vs. Saint Joseph’s/Washington State winner, 10:30 a.m. PT (1:30 p.m. ET), ESPNEWS
- Game 6 – Saint Mary’s/Harvard loser vs. Saint Joseph’s/Washington State loser, 1 p.m. PT (4 p.m. ET), ESPN3
- Game 7 – Georgia/Cal State Fullerton winner vs. San Diego State/Sacramento State winner, 4 p.m. PT (7 p.m. ET), ESPN2
- Game 8 – Georgia/Cal State Fullerton loser vs. San Diego State/Sacramento State loser, 6:30 p.m. PT (9:30 p.m. ET), ESPNEWS
Sunday, November 26
- Game 9 – Game 6 and Game 8 losers, 11:30 a.m. PT (2:30 p.m. ET), ESPN3
- Game 10 – Game 5 and Game 7 losers, 2 p.m. PT (5 p.m. ET), ESPNU
- Game 11 – Game 6 and Game 8 winners, 6:30 p.m. PT (9:30 p.m. ET), ESPN3
- Game 12, Championship – Game 5 and Game 7 winners, 9 p.m. PT (12 a.m. ET, next day), ESPN2
All-Session tickets will go on sale on September 13th and can be purchased at www.fullertontitans.com or by calling (657) 278-2783. Additional ticket and travel package information can be found on the event web site at www.TheWoodenLegacy.com